The organization will vary from one establishment to another according to particular requirements that is the volume of trade, range, and type of menus, style of service etc. The objective of kitchen organization is to assign or allocate tasks so that they will be done efficiently and properly and workers will know what their responsibilities are. In order to operate kitchen smoothly, it is necessary to have a well-planned, organized, controlled and coordinated system.
Kitchen is one of the most complex and highly organized areas within the hospitality industry. Kitchen organization refers to a group of kitchen staff working together in the kitchen to achieve a mutual goal. It means working together to produce the right quantity and quality of food most effectively and efficiently justifying the money, material, and manpower. Augusta Escoffier is regarded as the father of modern kitchen organization and he is the one who initiated the parties/ section system in the kitchen department.
Chef de Cuisine / Executive Chef
- commander-in-chief of the kitchen organizes the kitchen
- Compile/compose the menu
- Order the food stuff
- Show the required profit
- Engage the Staff
- Supervise the kitchen
- Advise the purchase of kitchen equipment
- Develop new dishes
- Co-ordinate with other department
- All administrative work within the kitchen department
- Ensuring that the food cost percentage are kept at the desired level and must calculate the cost and benefit
- Ensuring the smooth functioning of kitchen
- Ensuring the quality of food
- Determining portion size
- Organizing department training program for maintenance of the highest professional standard
- Holding regular meetings with section heads to ensure all sections, units should function effectively with efficient operation and co-operation.
- Checking storage receiving area for quality of food purchased
- Ensuring the standard of hygiene & sanitation within the kitchen area
Executive sous chef
- Supervise the work in the kitchen
- Runs smoothly the kitchen organization according to direction of chef de Cuisine
- Responsible for all duties of Executive Chef whenever absence of Executive Chef
- Relieves the Executive Sous Chef during absence and leaves
- lncharge of a given section
- Ensures the proper work flow from preparation and presentation of all dishes within the section
- Reports to chef de cuisine and executive sous chef
Chef de Fame
- lncharge of a section of the work in the kitchen
- Organize their own section
- Delegate the work to his assistants and is, in fact, the backbone of the kitchen
- Reports to sous chef of their section
- He/she responsible for preparing various soups. Such as; consommé, cream, broth, purees, violates, bisques, minestrone, and many more international soups
Chef Saucier/ Sauce
- All the sauces are prepared together with the necessary derivatives and garnishes. Such as, Espanola, béchamel, hollandaise etc.
Chef Rotisserie / Roast
- Responsible for the production of all roast or grills of meat, poultry, and games grilled and deep fried fish, deep fried vegetables, prepare sauce accompaniment and garnishes for roast and grills.
Chef Poissonier / Fish
- All fish dishes excepting grilled and deep fried, garnishing, sauce
Chef Legumes / Vegetable
- All vegetables and potatoes dishes except deep fried, garnish, accompaniment of main course and egg and farinaceous dishes i.e. spaghetti pastas, macaroni pasta etc.
Chef Gardemanger / Larder Chef
- All cold soup, eggs, fish, meat, poultry, and game dishes are served by parties. Also prepare the sandwich, salad, starter also prepared by larder chef.
Patisserie/Boulangere chef / Pastry / Bakery
- All sweet and pastry items are prepared. Such as, bread rolls croissant, Cakes, soufflés, gateaux etc.
- Responsible for various cuts of veal, lamb, chicken, pork, fish, beef etc.by using special knives and equipment’s following yield cards.
Chef de petit dejeuner/Breakfast Chef
- Production of all breakfast items, mise-en-place of breakfast service, prepares eggs, vegetables, and breakfast accompaniments.
- Responsible for preparing for all kinds of ice-creams.
chef Nuit/Night Chef
- Provide late meal as required and helps to mise-en-place for breakfast
- All Indian dishes prepared by the Indian chef.
Chef Torment /Relief Chef
- He/he takes over a section when the chef goes on leave or has an off day. He/ she is usually a senior chef when a has knowledge of various section.
Chef communar/Staff Chef
- To produce staff meal by the staff chef. He/she must have the same qualification as that of the chef de parties and works as per the instructions of the chef de cuisine. He/she is Responsible for obtaining the necessary ingredient and prepares the food for the daily meals of the staff.
Chef de Banquet/ Banquet chef
- Responsible for organizing the buffet meal and service preparation in banquet
Commis Chefs/Assistant chefs
- Responsible to follow the instructions of their chef de parties / sous chef
- Responsible to preparing and cooking different food dishes.
- Responsible to handle kitchen equipment and good knowledge of hygiene and safety to relevant their work.
Aides’ dc Cuisine/Apprentice/Trainee
- The apprentices are the one, who are learning of food preparation skill and serving of food. They are moved to different sections of the kitchen to gain up to date knowledge of all the sections.
Kitchen stewarding is s sub-department or section of a large kitchen in most large/deluxe hotels. It plays a key role in the smooth functioning of both food production and food and beverage service department. This section is solely responsible for maintaining and preserving the cleanliness and up-keep of equipment of entire outlets/sections of food and beverage department. Large and small equipment, e.g. kitchen utensils/ pots, and silverware, chinaware, glassware, etc. of the restaurants are properly maintained, cleaned, polished and stored by this section. This section also maintains inventories and supplies of all equipment and cleans all the working surfaces and floors of the entire kitchen. In the meantime care and maintenance of the employees’ cafeteria also rests on the shoulder of this section.
Kitchen stewarding section is headed by an Executive/Chief Kitchen Steward or Steward Manager. He reports to the F&D Manager/ Executive Head Chef. Under him, he will have supervisors and a team of utility workers who do all the manual work of this department. This section has a 24 hours’ work routine assigned in food and beverage department. It also controls wastages and costs by monitoring breakage and wastages controlling supplies of gas and coal to the kitchen and co-coordinating with the engineering department for preventive maintenance is also one of the main function of this section. This section is responsible for;
- Storage and issue of silverware, chinaware, hollowware, glassware and necessary equipment to the kitchen and various outlets of food and beverage service.
- Maintaining cleanliness in all sections of the main kitchen, specialty kitchen, back areas of food and beverage service and staff cafeteria.
- Cleaning, washing and polishing all EPNS, stainless steel, hollowware, crockery and other service wares.
- Monitoring the garbage disposal, kitchen sanitation system, and cleaning goods receiving premises and staff lockers.\Taking a periodic inventory of all kitchen and service equipment.
- Operating large equipment, e.g. dish washing and glass washing machines.
Oli, Gopal Singh and B. B. Chhetri.Hotel management. Kathmandu: Buddha publications Pvt. Ltd., 2015. Book.
Shrestha, Dinesh; K.C, Saroj; karki, karuna; Sharma, Robin; elt.Hotel Management. kathmandu: Arcadia Publishing House Pvt. Ltd., 2068,Shrawan.
- In large establishments, the duties of the Executive Hand Chef (Chef de cuising) are mainly administrative, but in small establishments, duties are more confined in heading the food.
- Executive chef/chef de cuisine is the head of kitchen operation.
- Commis are the one who actually processes and prepare food in the kitchen.
- Apprentices are the trainees who are there to learn the trade and skills.
- Kitchen stewarding is a back of the houses operation if a large hotel.
You scored /0
Any Questions on Kitchen organization ?
Discussions about this note
please make the organization chart of kitchen staffing?
Jan 04, 2017
0 RepliesView Replies
Successfully Posted ...