Registration and check in and check out procedures
Registration can be defined as the process of assigning rooms to the guest at the time of their arrivals by filling necessary details about the guest and the rooms contain in a registration from. Registration from acts as a source of information about guest and acts as a legal proof for both the hotel guest.
When a guest arrives at the hotel, the registration process begins with the display of hospitality towards the guest/ visitors after the receptionist has welcomed (greeted) the guest. S/ he enquires if a reservation has been made. If the guest responds affirmatively, the reservation record is checked. If the guest is a walk-in, the availability of accommodation is to be established. The next step is to complete the registration card, obtain the guest signature and register the guest. Thereafter, the key card is filled-up and appropriate key is handed over to the guest by the information assistant. If the guest needs luggage/baggage assistance, bellboy is summoned to carry them from lobby to guest bedroom.
After the guest has left front desks, like the guest folio opened where details from the registration card are transferred the hard copy of registration card is affixed to the folio and It is handed to the front office cashier. Arrival notification slips are issued to concerned departments and sections such as housekeeping, room service, telephone, lobby, and information. In addition to VIPs and CIPs complimentary amenities requisition from that should be filled up by the receptionist. The amenity complimentary form includes flowers, fruits, mini bar, etc.
Importance of Registration
- It is a legal piece of document which verifies the attendance of the guest in the hotel. Hence, all guests coming to stay in the hotel must be dully registered.
- It helps to keep a close track on the movement of the guests, especially tourists, within the country by the public authority.
- In the case of any unforeseen and unprecedented situations, like serious accidents, natural death, homicide, etc. the kith and kin of the guest can be readily informed on the basis of this data.
- The information thus collected can be used for market analysis, market survey, and other marketing strategies.
- Based on this data, guest history card can be maintained and updated.
- The forwarding address helps to redirect any guest mails and the contact address helps to foster relations even after guest checks-out of the hotel.
Process of guest registration
- Pre- registration activity:
This is the activity of pre-printing of all the guest on a registration card prior to their arrivals. All guest have to check their detail are correct, sign the card and received them.
- Creating the registration records:
After the first step is finished them the registration card is filled with the guest details. Name of guest, Arrival and departure etc. should be recorded on it by the guest.
- Assigning the room and rate:
The process is different according to the categories of guests. Room assignment for the guest who are with pre-reservation. They should provide the information of room and rates.
- Establishing the mode of payments:
After the guest makes reservation his/her future method of payments is recorded in the registration card. This presentation measure will help to prevent embarrassment to the guest at the checkout time.
- Issuing the room key:
After the completion of the registration procedure, the guest received/ issued key. Key should issue with key card as proof of the guest identity
- Escorting guest to the room:
After the key is issued, the guests are escorted to their respective rooms with the help of bells boys.
Check-In and Check- Out Procedures
This is a process of guest registration at the front office reception counter which mostly occurs from afternoon till late evening. This begins when the front office personnel extends a sincere welcome to the guest. This is the first impression which can attract or distract the prospective guests. There must be a room ready, and there are various necessary formalities to be done when the guest arrives. When there is a new arrival of the guest at the hotel, the front desk receptionist must follow this procedure. The procedure for normal check-in may be summarized in the following stages:
Stage 1: Receiving and Registration
Receive the guest in front of house
- Open the door and welcome the guest (The doorman buzzes the bell desk)
- Bring the luggage and baggage into the lobby (This is done by the bellboy/ porter)
- Escort the guest up to reception desk (usually done by the bellboy/porter)
Receive the guests at reception
- Welcome the guest promptly with a cheerful and pleasant smile
- Address with the appropriate surname, if known.
Register the guest
- Complete the registration card or register the guest
- Verify the information on the registration against the reservation ensuring the accuracy of name, date, and payment mechanism.
- Stamp check-in time on the registration card.
- Carry out the final check of the registration card for guest signature.
- Discuss room preference with guest as per the availability, or select an available room which is "ready to let” and allocate the room.
Stage 2: Allocation of the room
Allocation of the room means assigning a vacant and ready (VR) room to the guest for staying. In order to allocate a guest room, accurate room status information is required. For this purpose, a room status board or room rack is kept in the reception. When the room has been allocated, the reception should;
- Block or code the room as sold.
- Prepare key card of related room number by entering the arrival and departure date, rate and offer it to the guest for signature.
- give the room key to either the guest or the bellboy
- record guest arrival on daily arrival list
Stage 3: Secure advance Payment
Advance payment should be done for security purpose. It is usually done by accepting a cash deposit or taking a credit card. While handling advance deposit, whether cash/ cheque, always:
- Issue a receipt for cash/ cheque and record the payment in the guests ‘ledger.
- Accept credit card and evaluate for its credit limit and availability.
- Get the imprint of the card and obtain a guest signature.
(Type of guest in this procedure are categorized as chance guest FIT, GIT, and VIP)
Stage 4: Information service
Receptionist is responsible for informing guest about facilities and services offered by the hotel. This helps to increase the sale. At this point, the receptionist should;
- Acknowledge the guest about the hotel's activities, facilities, and service with direction and location.
- Enquire if the guest requires a wake-up call. If so, record it correctly.
Stage 5: Complete the check-in formalities
After the check-in formalities are completed,
- The bellboy should escort the guest up to the allocated room.
- Inform other departments and sections about the guest arrival by arrival notification slip.
Stage 6: Open the guest folio
- Open guest bill/ folio.
- Record the key information for billing purpose (room rate, number of nights, departure date and mode of payment)
- File the bill in the guests' folio box together with the completed registration card.
Group Check-in Procedure
- Rooms are already blocked for the group
- Tags to identify baggage should be attached to the baggage and room number (errand card).
- Registration card may be distributed through the group leader.
- Welcome drinks should be provided before the room assignment to VIP.
- VIPS should be received by the Front Office Manager or General Manager.
- Receptionist notifies the housekeeping for welcome card and bouquet of flowers and room service for fruits in the guest bedroom.
- In some instance, registration of the guest may take place in his/ her room
- In the case of airline crews, physically disabled, old guest, etc., the registration card can be completed in advance, necessitating only the guest signature on arrival.
The term check-out refers to the departure of the houseguests at the end of their stay whichMostly occurs from early morning till mid-afternoon. The check-out of the guest is done by the front office cashier. He is primarily responsible fat settling the guest outstanding account. The check-out for individual guests is divided into two categories:
When a check-out takes place in its usual time e.g. 7:00 am to 12: noon, it is referred to as normal check-out. The general procedure for handling a normal check-out are:
- Greet the guest with the ready smile: Always address the guest by their surname (if known) Confirm the guest intention to check-out of hotel. Details, i.e. name, pax, and room number and inquire about additional recent charges. Check the departure date. If the guests are leaving earlier than expected, other departments will need to be informed.
- Establish correct guest room number: Establish the correct room number and other details, i.e. tax, departure date, check out time, etc. If the guests are leaving earlier than expected, other departments will need to be informed.
- Check for the check out: If so, the late charge should be levied. Examine the current Entries on a guest account in particular check-out e. g laundry, mini-bar, room service, telephone charge, message, etc.
- Prepare all the guest's folio/master bill: Prepare all the guest's folio and present the final bill to the guest for checking accuracy.
- Settle the guest account: Provide front office service until guest departure, such as receiving the room key, checking safe deposit box/ locker, etc. Offer the assistance of the bell boy/ porter to collect luggage and baggage.
- Update the front office record: AI per the room status list, file the copy of the bill and any vouchers that need to be kept in case of future reference. Notify all the concerned departments that the guest has departed, bill to settled and room is vacated.
Speedy check-out/Express check-out
There will be occasions when a guest will want to depart the hotel without having to queue at the desk, or wait for the bill to be prepared. In this case, a speedy or advance check-out facility is usually available to the guest. Usually, a speedy check-out can be carried out as follows:
- An estimate made of the anticipated charges, e.g. two rooms nights # $100 per night and an advance payment are made for the total amount e.g. $200.
- Charges are posted as they occur so that the bill may be closed immediately at given time.
- If payment is by credit card, the guest signature is taken on the credit card voucher at registration and the cashier only needs to fill in the bill total on the day of check-out.
Group Check-Out Procedure
The departure of a group requires proper planning and organizing. Delay and confusion should be avoided in the group check-out. The front office agent should ensure that all the members of the group leave with their baggage after having paid or signed any outstanding bills.
Prior to guest check-out, front office staff should;
- ensure that there will be adequate staff on duty,
- ensure and list room number at the time of check-out,
- ensure that all outstanding charges are entered on the bill and that the bills are completed for presentation,
- ensure that the guest or group leader signs the bill that is to be sent to the travel agents,
- ensure that all the luggage are removed from the room and placed in the lobby,
- ensure that the transport facility is available for luggage to load.
Oli, Gopal Singh and B. B. Chhetri.Hotel management. Kathmandu: Buddha publications Pvt. Ltd., 2015. Book.
Shrestha, Dinesh; K.C, Saroj; karki, karuna; Sharma, Robin; elt.Hotel Management. kathmandu: Arcadia Publishing House Pvt. Ltd., 2068,Shrawan.
- Registration is the act of recording names and details on an official list.
- All guests coming to stay in the hotel must compulsorily be registered, and it is obligatory by law.
- Actually, registration process starts from guest arrival at the hotel's reception desk.
- Registration is appropriately done by the receptionist.
- All guests must be briefed clearly about the house rules prior to registration.
- Some hotel provides express check-in, refreshment and concierge service to the guest.
- Guest who approaches through the travel agency or other sources is not requested for advance payment if an agreement is already done for that.
- The term check- in generally refers tp the register the arriving guests at the hotel.
- The term check-out generally refers to the departure of guest from a hotel.
- this process starts from settling the bill and dispatching the luggage which task is done by the bell boy.
- Some hotel provides express check-out to guests by its club floor.
You scored /0
Any Questions on Registration and check in and check out procedures ?
No discussion on this note yet. Be first to comment on this note