Development is always planned. It is the first condition for the effective planning and development. Local and national level action plan is developed after planning. Development planning is also a skill. Formulating a plan for the appropriate use of available resources and means to fulfill certain objectives in the specified period is called Development Proposal Formulation. What is done in this? Why is it done? Who does it? How is it done? Where is it done? When is it done? The answer to these questions is presented in the proposal. Preparation of these development plans is also said to be the first step in the development process.
The countries that have adopted federalism or decentralized government assign the local level offices to freely formulate and implement the development plans. The use of local means and resources, decisions on development works, and conduction of those works is given to the local offices. Consumer’s Groups are created in the local community to include the locals in the development works. The local level development works are done by those consumer groups. Before formulating development plans requirements need to be assessed and selected, planned, investment selected, involvement decided, and means and resources availability checked. The proposed plans are then decided upon and then the development work is started.
Local level proposals formulation steps:
- Need identification – There can be many needs in the local level i.e. schools, building materials, road construction, forest conservation, etc.
- Alternative selection – Select an alternative depending on primary needs
- Proposal preparation – Identification, goals, affected areas and family numbers, investment, manpower, workspace, start date, means and resources, implementation, profits, members, minute details that is to be presented in governmental office, etc.
- Investment source details – budget that is being given by the local government and amount that is raised from the consumers.
- Deals – The local consumer committees and local bodies’ representatives sign an agreement with the terms and approval for the work.
- Implementation – Construction work conduction
- Overview and evaluation - Overseeing the work of local stakeholders, progress observation, monitoring of the overall program.
Local level proposal formulation process:
- Establish Relationship – Establish relations by conducting meetings with personnel related to the planning and the consumer groups.
- Situation Study – Study is done to find the area that will be affected by the plan, livelihood of the local people, and natural resources and means available.
- Prioritization for problems – Listing out the appropriate investment needs, estimated results, means and resources, concerned parties, suggestions, solutions, etc. is done and prioritized.
- Agreement and Contract – The community ownership plan, contributions, sharing, responsibility, work projects is mentioned and the agreement and contracts are made.
- Documentation and presentation – The plan process, result forecast, monitoring mechanisms, etc. are mentioned and the final plan is documented.
Plan Implementation Steps:
- Citizen’s meeting
- Plan collection with the local involvement
- Proposal in the local government
- Formation of consumer groups
- Plan implementation agreement
- Documentation and economic management after planning
- Certifying the consumer groups and thanking them.