Air is polluted by the following ways:
- By the contamination of smoke.
- By the mixing of dust and smoke in the air.
- By spread of foul smell in air.
Its effect on living beings are as follows:
- It may cause several respiratory diseases, lung diseases, throat itching, etc.
- Mixing of harmful chemicals in air may cause acid rain.
- It may decrease the transparency of atmosphere which creates problems for pilots.
Air pollution may cause acid rain which is harmful to all the living beings living in the environment and may severely affect different aspects of nature. Similarly, the acid rain will deteriorate the cultural heritages like temples, gumbas, monuments, etc. by washing away their color, style and so on.
- Respiratory diseases like lung diseases
- Cough, cold, heart diseases and many types of cancers
- Mental, muscular diseases
- Skin problems like itching
- Carbon monoxide decreases the oxygen carrying capacity of blood
Vehicles operate by the burning of fossil fuels like petroleum which produces smoke and mix with air causing air pollution.
The major cause of air pollution is the human activities. All the needs of humans are the prime cause of air pollution which they are utilizing for their sophisticated life. So, people themselves are responsible for air pollution.
Air pollution has many negative effects upon the human life as well as upon the natural environment. So, it is essential to stop works that cause air pollution to preserve the environment and reduce the effects upon the human life.
- Afforestation programmes should be launched
- Electric vehicles should be encouraged
- Smokes from industries should be filtered before releasing to the environment
- Burning of firewood, fossil fuels, etc. should be reduced by using modern technology
- Factories should be established away from the residential area as far as possible.
Village women use firewood for cooking food which produces smoke in large amount. So, women of the village usually suffer from diseases of respiratory system.
- Water pollution.
- Air pollution.
Environment degradation contribution for the population of a number of poisonous gas in the atmosphere like carbon monoxide, Nitrogen oxides, sulphur dioxide, methane etc. which pollutes the environment.