I received your letter in the first hour and read it just after lunch. I'm writing to on what I feel about the result of the revolution and royal proclamation. The freedom fighters controlled many places one after another. So Ranas become ready to come to an understanding. The struggle was postponed. Consequently, a tripartite treaty was signed between king Tribhuvan, Nepali Congress and the Ranas. According to this treaty, the Ranas rule came to an end and there would be rule of people's representatives. Similarly, there would be a council of Ministers of 10 ministries including five each from congress and Ranas. After late king Tribhuvan arrived in Kathmandu, he made a royal proclamation. He granted amnesty to all political workers and restored their property. Thus, by the combined efforts of the king and the people, democracy dawned in Nepal on Falgun 7, 2007 B.S.
Write to me as soon as you get this letter.
With best wishes,
If I am given to whole responsibility to observe Democracy day on 7th Falgun, first of all I will form a democracy day celebration committee. I will further divide invitation, report management, publicity, etc. to each of them respectively. Then with the help of my friends, I will decide the types of programs and ways to carry on them. The given pictures show late king Tribhuwan and the flag of the nations as the symbol of democracy and national unity.
Nepalese people go emancipation from 104 year old Monarchy through the royal proclamation of late king Tribhuvan. No rights were given to the people during Ranarchy. People restored their rights through this proclamation. They were assured that their representatives would form the government and that they would work for the betterment of all of them. In this way people could understand the essence of democracy after the proclamation of 2007. After the achievement of democracy various changes occurred in the society. Many schools, hospitals, campus, industries, factories were established. People could freely express their dissatisfaction. People helped in running the nations smoothly. They also participated in development works. Society got freedom from chains and suffocating environment.
Reasons to bring an end to the Rana regime are:
- People were not given freedom in terms of free living social and progressive life. They had to live under political and socially suppressed environment. People could not speak against the autocracy of Ranas.
- People were brutally suppressed and suppression was mainly focused on education, whereas people had started to know their real need. They wanted to overcome the Rana regime but to stop such social and intellectual changes education centers were decreased in number.
- People had to pay heavy taxes to different heads. People then were economically exploited and the money collected was spent in luxurious works.
If a journal with special issue of 2007 revolution is published and I am assigned to reevaluate it, I would read that journal twice conscientiously. As book evaluation is the appreciation of good things criticism of bad things with reasoning, I would prepare the following bases.
Classification of journal being based on the articles mentioned.
- Quest for the thought and directives mentioned in these articles of that journal.
- Search for the problems that are raised in those articles and measures to overcome the problems.
- Evaluation and drawing conclusion of each articles, subject, problems and solution.
- Personal outlook regarding the journal.
(Binuta and Lokendra are on the way to school talking to each other)
Binuta: Did you understand yesterday's lesson on democracy? For me everything was new.
Lokendra: Come on, it is not that difficult. Our teacher made clear the system followed all over the world including our country.
Binuta: I know the system of election, choosing leaders like representative govt., upper house lower house any many others? Is that the house similar to the house that we live in? Or it is like a palace or Rana Durbar?
Lokendra: I am glad that you remember at least some words and have curiosity to learn. Democracy, is the fact the government made by the people. People like your parents, my parents and all adults cast their votes to the most capable person who becomes the MP or representative of the people. The meeting hall is called upper and lower house. They discuss together.
Binuta: Wait, Wait....., you said that our parents cast votes. Why can't we also cast votes? Don't we belong to this country?
Lokendra: No, my friend, we are still underage. We cannot decide now who is good and who is bad. Until we reach 18 years we will not be allowed to cast vote.
Binuta: What happens if we cast vote in the name of someone else?
Lokendra: That will be a crime, and a punishable act. We should never even think like that. We should do our duties properly and only then can we claim our rights.
Binuta: I was just joking. Why should we do something in the name of others? Thank you for telling me all of this.
Lokendra: Now, we have reached school. We did not realize how soon we have reached here as we have reached here as we were engaged in talking.
Binuta: Yes, indeed. And I learnt a lot from you. Thank you very much.
- An elected constituent assembly will frame a democratic constitution within two years.
- King Tribhuwan will remain king of Nepal.
- There will be an interim cabinet of 10 ministers under the prime Minister of Mohan Shamsher of which 5 will be taken from the people's side.
- There will be no restriction to open political organizations.
- All the political prisoners will be set free.
- Political, economic and social freedom.
- Right of people to choose government.
- Autocratic family rule verses democracy.
- Acquisition on of some of the people of the tall rights fundamental.
1997 B.S. is related to martyrdom. The conspiracy to overthrow the Ranas was revealed and Juddha Shumsher, the then prime Minister, ordered to kill four of the rebels. Shukla Raj Joshi (shastri) was hanged on a tree at Pachali, Teku on 10 Magh 1997. Dharmabhakta Mathema was hanged at Sifal, Pashupati on 12 Magh, Dashrath Chand Thakur and Ganga Lal Shrestha were shot dead earlier at bhukha kusi, Shova Bhagwati on 15 Kartik 1997.
The Delhi Agreement of 2007 B.S. is a very important historical milestone event which directed the progress of Anti-Rana movement to success. After the king Tribhuvan trickily fled to Delhi with the risk of his throne in Nepal, the agreement was held in Delhi in the mediatorship of Indian Government and the presence of the king, the congress badgers and Rana representatives. It is even called the Tripartite Agreement. Following were the items of it:
- Draft an interim constitution and form a special Constituent Assembly to form a new constitution.
- To form a ten members cabinet of the 5/5 ratio from the Ranas and the congress under the prime ministry ship of Mohan Shamsher.
- To continue and restore the king Tribhuvan in throne of Nepal.
- To set all the prisoners off the imprisonment those who are politically blamed.