The following are the components of multimedia:
The text is a primary component of multimedia. Most of the information can be presented with the help of text. The text can be emphasized by using different fonts, fonts colors etc.
A graphic medium is a digital representation of non-text information, such as drawing, charts or photographs. The graphic medium can be used with text medium.
Audio is one of the important components of multimedia. It is music, speech, or any other sound. The audio medium is normally combined with animation medium.
The video medium is the effective medium for presenting information. The video medium presents the moving images of real events. In the video, both sound and picture media are used for presenting information.
The animation medium presents the sequence of still images of artwork at a rapid speed that looks like the image is moving. With the help of animation, any event can be explained more clearly.
CD-ROM is a cheap, durable and portable storage media used to store data and information in the multimedia technology. This is why multimedia products are found only in CD-ROMs.
The advantages of multimedia are:
- It can be used to help the student and teacher to teach as well as to learn the given topics easily.
- It can be used to spread knowledge all over the world at a low cost.
- It can be used for any subjects and for anyone.
- Multimedia system is generally very interactive. So, it is interesting to use.
The disadvantages of multimedia are:
- It is expensive to produce the multimedia system.
- It is expensive to set up multimedia contents.
- It needs well-trained manpower to create and use it.