Poverty Alleviation and Employment Generation
Poverty refers to such an economic condition in which people lack income good enough to obtain their basic level of food, housing, health, education, etc. poverty is categorized as absolute poverty condition in which people don't have sufficient to eat and relative poverty condition in which the high standard of mass of people fall below the average level. The poverty line is the official level of income which h is required to meet minimum services. However, this level varies from one country to another according to the status of economic prosperity.
Unemployment is, on the other hand, the condition in which people want but cannot have jobs to earn their living. Poverty and unemployment are closely related. Among various factors behind poverty, unemployment is highly influential. When people lack earning opportunities, they cannot fulfill even their basic needs. Poverty tends to breed poverty. Poor people are generally malnourished and unskilled. Those who are unskilled and unhealthy, find it more difficult and get and do a job. Poverty also tends to breed many social problems. People in absolute poverty are more likely to commit crimes. Robbery, theft, burgling, etc are more common in poor society.
Poverty alleviation in Nepal
Poverty and unemployment are more widespread in third-world countries where there are little industrialization, more corruption and political instability, high population growth, and less skilled manpower. In Nepal nearly 25% of people are still living life below poverty line. A record shows that the population in absolute poverty has reduced to 25% from the earlier figure of 31% in a half decade. This reduction can be attributed to several factors; the important ones being the growth in the agricultural wages, urbanization, growth in the percentage of the active population and growing remittance.
The most important step towards poverty eradication is employment generation. People can be made more productive by giving them training on their jobs".The main challenges of this plan are to continue the efforts for poverty alleviation and bridge the gap between rich and poor ".The following strategies shall be adopted towards this direction.
- Create new employment by encouraging capital from private sectors
- To increase food production,improve agricultural sector,develop infrastructures of development,eradicate social inequality
- To achieve sustainable economic growth,reduce poverty,decrease regional imbalance
- To eliminate poverty,achieve economic growth,develop infrastructure ,increase production by improving productivity.
- To make the Nepalese people feel a concrete change in life by maintaining long lasting peace,reducing unemployment problem and inequality.
- Provide low-interest loan and make employment more productive by giving skills/training to the youth of our and targeted groups.
Things to remember
- Poverty refers to such an economic condition in which people lack income good enough to obtain their basic level of food, housing, health, education, etc.
- In Nepal nearly 25% of people are still living life below poverty line
- Poverty and unemployment widespread in third-world countries where there are little industrialization, more corruption and political instability, high population growth and less skilled manpower.
- It includes every relationship which established among the people.
- There can be more than one community in a society. Community smaller than society.
- It is a network of social relationships which cannot see or touched.
- common interests and common objectives are not necessary for society.
Videos for Poverty Alleviation and Employment Generation
The Cause of Poverty in Nepal
We can end Poverty by UNDP Nepal
Questions and Answers
The primary means to alleviate poverty is employment. People, get income from employment which will promote their standard of living and the poverty is slowly reduced. But without employment, there will be no earnings. In order to reduce poverty, long term employment opportunities should be created by enhancing competitive capability of poor and marginalized people. In this way poverty can be reduced.
Poverty is not reduced or alleviated in Nepal because of following reasons:
- Lack of realistic economic plan and its implementation.
- Unidentified people who are living under poverty line.
- Due to minimum resources of income for poor people.
- Due to population explosion, government is unable to provide jobs to the people.
- Lack of education, training and skilled manpower.
Following can be the strategies adopted to promote employment:
- Increase production-oriented employment opportunities in order to reduce unemployment.
- Create diverse industries- both manufacturing and service oriented industries through the involvement of private sectors, multinational companies, donors, etc. to provide adequate employment opportunities to the people.
- Create employment by launching various programmes in mountain, hills and Terai based on small loans, focused to generate income of suppressed, women, madhesis, disabled, etc.
- Provide soft loans and make employment more productive by providing skills, training to the youths, poor and targeted groups.
- Self created employment such as handicrafts, items, hotels, cottage industries, etc. should be encouraged.
Following programs are adopted to alleviate poverty in Three Year Interim Plan:
- Develop an identification system of the people who are living poverty line and then implement the targeted programmes.
- Start area and sector wise focus and participatory programmes based on geographical and social ground.
- Increase production-oriented employment opportunity to reduce unemployment.
- Promote small saving schemes for the investment on sustainable income source.
- Give loans and training facilities to the youth from the population below poverty line.
- Increase investment for the initiation of rural road, drinking water, health, education, irrigation, tourism, finance, bio-diversity projects and reconstruction programs.
- Commercialize and industrialize agriculture by establishing and expanding zones.
Poverty refers to deprivation of basic things is called poverty.