Altitude sickness can be defined as the sickness caused by ascent to high altitude resulting from shortage of oxygen .The one who climb on high altitude at a stretch, suffers from altitude sickness. If required amount of oxygen is not supplied to us then our lungs and brain get affected.
Symptoms of Altitude Sickness
- Feels dizzy, tired and increases the rate of pulse.
- Feeling of nausea, vomiting and headache.
First Aid to Altitude Sickness
- If a person gets headache and feels dizzy he/she should take rest for a while. If the patient does not feel comfortable even after taking rest then he/she should be taken at least 500 m downward.
- If possible oxygen should be given to the patient.
- Hot drink should be given to the patient.
- The patient should be encouraged.
Things to remember
- Altitude sickness can be defined as the sickness caused by ascent to high altitude resulting from shortage of oxygen .
- The one who climb on high altitude at a stretch, suffers from altitude sickness.
- It includes every relationship which established among the people.
- There can be more than one community in a society. Community smaller than society.
- It is a network of social relationships which cannot see or touched.
- common interests and common objectives are not necessary for society.
Videos for Altitude Sickness
Acute Mountain Sickness | Altitude Illness
Altitude Illness Prevention
Questions and Answers
Altitude sickness is the condition that results from unaccustomed exposure to a high altitude. It is also called mountain sickness. Generally, one feels altitude sickness when he/she goes above 3000 meters above the sea level. When the body does not get sufficient oxygen, that causes disorder in the body system especially, in the brain and lungs this is known as altitude sickness.
Symptoms of altitude sickness are:
- Headache, nausea and vomiting.
- Loss of appetite.
- Short breathing, rapid heartbeat.
- Fatigue and sleeplessness.
- In severe care, blood flows from nose, eyes, ears etc.
Two safety measures to avoid altitude sickness are:
- We should carry an oxygen cylinder if possible.
- We should not go to higher altitude alone.