Responsibilities of Parents
The responsibilities of parents are meant by the role, efforts and contributions of the parents for the children's physical. Mental, social and emotional development as well as the development of other aspects so that children can develop themselves and contribute largely to the development of the society and nation. The life of the children will be in a trouble once the parents fail to understand their responsibilities towards them.
Parents have to perform vast responsibilities towards them. They include adequate nurturing, proper love, affection, guidance, good behavior, etc. The children of today are the future hopes of the family, energetic personalities of the society and capable citizens of the country. Therefore, parents have to internalize their responsibilities towards their children in order to make them able and ideal citizens of the state.
Role of parents in family
The parents have the complete responsibility for the development of physical, mental, social and emotional aspects of the children since childhood to adolescence. When the children are grown up, they will discharge their responsibilities properly and hence becomes capable as food parents in future.
The father is the manager or head of the family and his authority is respected. He sets rules for all the members to observe in order to maintain order, discipline and harmony. The education of the child belongs to both parents jointly. The mother not only support but home in the absence of father. She holds the family together by managing the household and directing the lives of its members. The mother, therefore, is not only housekeeper, a treasure but a director and an executive officer as well. The parents have the following roles in the family, they are:
- Policy- makers: Parents are the focal point of a family. As the heads of a family, parents makes policy, make a decision, goals and put it into practice them for the betterment of the family. They take the final decision to apply them for the betterment of the family and takes necessary steps to solve problems that occur in family. i. e. making necessary arguments for looking after children, providing education, performing Bratabhanda, marriage, etc. of children.
- Leaders- Exemplars: To keep up discipline and to be convincing in the family, the parents play the role of unique leading exemplar For example, the parents can present themselves as leaders- exemplars without using intoxicants.
- Education and guide: Parents are the first educators and great moral and spiritual teachers of children. Children learn the first word in their mother's lap and a lot of good things from their father. Children learn social norms, values and important life skills from their parents. Before going to school, children are socialized at home and get good guidance from their parents.
- Inspires: Parents make their children disciplined and teach them to be obedient. So, the parents motivate them to be creative and imaginative. When the feelings and will power of the children diminish, than desires and ambition block up. In this situation, the parents motivate and encourage them. Hence, the parents are inspire's, enthusiasm, motivator and inducement.
- Pals/friends: Parents are also the real friends of children. Parents show friendly nature with their children in order to make them able to share their feelings and emotions. They take their children away for relax and entertainment and enjoy with them. Good parents always understand the needs, desires and feeling of their children rather than being a dictator to them.
Responsibilities of parents towards their children
We have come to know from the study of the above mentioned points about the role of parents. Now, it is relevant to discuss about responsibility, duty and involvement of parents towards their children.
The important responsibilities of parents towards their children are given below:
- To give nutritious food and proper clothing.
- To develop a habitat for hardworking.
- To support moral life.
- To create healthy environment.
- To develop the concept of practical thinking.
- To help them lead an independent life.
- To take care of the children and provide them proper education.
- To lift the children according to the social values.
- To keep the children healthy and strong.
- To provide equal love and affection to both son and daughter.
Things to remember
- The responsibilities of parents is known as the role, efforts and contributions of the parents for the children.
- Parents plays the roles of policy-maker, leader, guide, inspire and pal.
- Responsibilities of parents towards their children are to fulfill needs of their spouse, create healthy environment and help them lead an independent life.
- It includes every relationship which established among the people.
- There can be more than one community in a society. Community smaller than society.
- It is a network of social relationships which cannot see or touched.
- common interests and common objectives are not necessary for society.
Videos for Responsibilities of Parents
Exposure to Violence leads to negative impact on child
Parent Involvement Contributes in Proper Education
Role of Parents in Child Development - Ages Zero to Three
The role of parents and community
Questions and Answers
The family that consists of parents, grandparents, grandson, and granddaughter is called joint family.
Parents are fully responsible for physical, mental, social and emotional development of children from birth to growth. Parents should perform the following roles:
- Parents as policy makers: Parents should make well policy mobilizing the sources and facilities available in the family which can make the family members satisfied. Well plan and policy saves the family from financial accidents, dissatisfaction, conflicts etc. and helps to keep the family prosperous, happy and cooperative.
- Exemplary personalities:Parents should perform the highest level of honesty, punctuality, hard work, cooperation, self-discipline, dedication and loyalty to the family, so that children learn from their parents. If parents are drunkard, druggist etc. they cannot encourage family members to follow the norms and values of the family.
- Inspires: Inspiration is a psychological treatment which is vital for all the family members. Parents should inspire the family members to make them creative, constructive and imaginative.
- Teachers and guides: Parents are regarded as the first teachers and guides because children and family members get moral and spiritual knowledge from the parents at first. If the children don't have any knowledge of social norms and values, they will have problems to adjust in the society.
The process can play following roles in the family to bring happiness in the family.
- Planning of a family sizes.
- Friendly environment should be created so that they can exchange their ideas, knowledge of various things to their children.
- Parents should give knowledge of various things to their children.
- Parents should make rules and regulation for welfare of their family.
- Parents should motivate the family. So that they can be extracted.
The responsibilities of a parent toward the children are given below:
- Parents should take care of children.
- Parents should bear the child at an interval of four of five years.
- Parents should impart proper education to their children.
- Parents should get their children married at proper age.
- Parents should make plan for family size.
- Parents should provide basic needs to their children
The four implication of responsible parenthood are given below:
- If the parents like to be free from the problem of children in an old age they should guide them well right from the beginning.
- If the parents like to be free from the problem of hunger and security, they should plan to bear a limited number of children whose needs can be easily fulfilled.
- If the parents like to be free from the chaotic society, they must teach their children about their rights and duties.
- If the parents like to be free from the confrontation between son and daughter in law, choose it at the initial itself.
The responsibilities of children towards their parents are mentioned below:
- Children should follow the guidelines given by their parents.
- Children should respect the feeling of their parents.
- Children play very crucial role to establish warm relationship between father and mother and keep harmony in the family.
- Children should obey, love, and respect their parents.
- Children should help their parents in household works.
- Children should look after physically handicapped parents or old parents by providing them timely food, medical care, and recreational activities.
Parents are the true and real friends of their children. They are always near and dear of the children. Friendly environment is most crucial and it should be created between parents and children. They can exchange their ideas, knowledge, wisdom and experiences. Parents are concerned with their children in happiness and sorrow. They can share the happiness with their children by playing outer or indoor games. Parents should share their experiences with children as a friend. So they choose the right path. Parents do not let children go ashtray, on the contrary, bring them to right track. Good parents co-operate with children on cultural and entertainment program.
Parents are the first educators of children. Children learn the first word in mother's lap and speaking skills from their parents. Most of the discipline is taught at home itself. Children learn to do basic things like walk, talk, eat etc. at home itself. Children learn about their culture, courtesy, politeness through his parents itself. So, parents are the first moral teachers. Before going to school, children learn a great number of things at home itself. Parents teach their children those things that are most important to survive. It is also said that "children reflects, parent's courtesy" which means children learns what their parents teach them and shows the very behavior. Parents are indeed the first educator of children.
Parents are the great inspirer of their children. Parents motivate their children to be disciplined and teach them to be obedient. They inspire the children to be disciplined and teach them to face the problem. For example, when a child fails an examination and becomes sad, his parents cheer him up and encourage him to continue his studies. If children go on wrong track, then parents inspire their children and bring them in right track. Indeed, parents help their children to extricate from their notorious work and inspire them to be good in all respect.
Three responsibilities of parents are described below:
- Income management: Parents responsibility is necessary to balance between family size and family income. If such balance is maintained, each family members can equally utilize available resources and facilities. As a result of family is improved. In this way parents have responsibility to rear their children in adequate living standard.
- Determine birth spacing: It is the responsibility of parents to give birth to children in proper time gap. Birth spacing is the period between the birth of first and second baby. There should be a gap at least four or five years between the deliveries of two babies. Birth spacing provides an opportunity to educate the child in a congenial atmosphere.
- Number of children to have: Family size affects the quality of life since the income and expenditure should be integrated. Parents have to decide how many children to have. They must minimize the family size for the sake of their satisfaction.
The roles of father and mother in the family are given below:
- Policy maker
Proper parenting refers to take care of the children and take the responsibilities at its full. Parents should be capable for supporting and rearing to children till their full maturity. Parents should provide all the basic needs to their children. It is must necessary to fulfill the basic needs. Parents should also cultivate their children with religious and social value. Parents should teach their children about their culture and should encourage being generous.