Concept of Environmental Education
Concept of Environment
The term environment refers to our surrounding which includes physical, biological and socio-cultural aspects. The nonliving things like air, water, land, etc. Come under physical aspects and plants and trees comes under biological aspects and the man-made aspect like culture, religion, customs, etc. come under socio cultural aspects. There is a harmonious relationship among the components of the environment. The status of soil, water and other elements determines the biodiversity because different animals and plants have special adaptability cyclic relationship. Environmental condition determines our health also.
Concept of Environment Education
Environment is the source of all our needs. It provides all the things for our livelihood. However, the activities of human beings are not environment friendly. Environment Education is the educational process that teaches everything about the environment. It teaches us the way to keep our environment clean and preserve the environmental elements.
According to UNESCO in 1975, environment education can be defined as,Education that concerns about the total environment and its associated problems and commitment to work individually and collectively toward the solution of current problems and prevention of new one.
Importance of Environment Education
Environment helps to fulfill all our demands Human activities have resulted into natural calamities, environmental degradation, environmental pollution and many other problems. Environment education plays a significant role to control these problems and maintain the balance of the environment.
The importance of education environment are:
- Develops the concept of wise use of natural resources: Many people do not have the concept that their activities interfere the status of the environment. They use the natural resources randomly. They do not even know the hazards of their malpractices. They do not try to replace the lack by the means of afforestation and other regeneration program mes. Environment education teaches people about wise use of natural resources.
- Encourage for the creation of healthy environment: Healthy environment refers to the environment which is free from the dust, germ and other elements that cause many hazardous diseases. Environment education provides knowledge about various things such as personal hygiene, environmental sanitation and other topic related to healthy environment which prompts us to create a healthy environment.
- Cultivates awareness about environmental: Environmental degradation has been a great threat to the existence of all flora, fauna and human beings. Environment education gives knowledge about environmental pollution, create awareness.
- Helps to provide integrated knowledge: Environment education incorporates the elements that are related with health and population education. It helps to control the rapidly growing population, to keep the surrounding clean and to give emphasis on personal hygiene.
Things to remember
- The status of soil, water and other elements determines the biodiversity because different animals and plants have special adaptability cyclic relationship.
- Environment helps to fulfill all our demands Human activities have resulted into natural calamities, environmental degradation, environmental pollution and many other problems.
- Environment education gives knowledge about environmental pollution, create awareness.
- It includes every relationship which established among the people.
- There can be more than one community in a society. Community smaller than society.
- It is a network of social relationships which cannot see or touched.
- common interests and common objectives are not necessary for society.
Videos for Concept of Environmental Education
Environmental Education on Wheels in Nepal
The Sustainable Village of Sikles, Nepal
The Value of Environmental Education
What is Environmental Education?
Questions and Answers
Environment is the surrounding in which we live or it comprises various factors like air, water, soil, biodiversity, micro organism and other natural and artificial resources.
Environment education is a way of implementing the goals of environmental protection.
Environmental educationincreases the level of people towards importance of biotic, physical, social and cultural aspects. Thus, it inspires people to participate in the conservation and promotion activities.
Nuclear power experiments can be an example which proves that science and technological factors affect the environment.
To provide techniques to converse environment is any one objective of environment education.
Environment education is the process of recognizing values and clarifying concepts in order to develop skills and attitudes necessary to understand and appreciate the inter relatedness among man, his culture and his biophysical surroundings. Environmental education also entails practice in decision-making and self-formulation of a code of behavior about its issues concerning environment quality. Environment education increases the consciousness towards the need of wise use of environmental elements. It also supports responsible conservation and promotion of such aspects. Such efforts help to protect the biotic, abiotic and manmade aspects.
The importance of environmental education are as follows.
- Environment education increases the consciousness towards the need of wise use of environmental elements. It also supports responsible conservation and promotion of such aspects. Such efforts help to protect the biotic, abiotic and manmade aspects.
- It increases the level of education of people towards importance of biotic, physical, social and cultural aspects. It inspires people to participate in the conservation and promotion activities.
- It emphasizes the concept of integrating development activities and the effort of environmental conservation. It develops the feeling to human being that development activities should not degrade the environment and environmental conservation should not interrupt development.
- It emphasizes to consider social and cultural values and norms while protecting environmental aspects. It develops the feeling of responsibility while using the environmental means and resources in order to fulfill minimum human needs.
- The subject matter of environmental education is determined considering the status of mountain, hill and terai of our country. From this we get knowledge on important steps to adopt for conservation according to ecological belt. The knowledge supports environmental conservation.
The adverse effects of human activities on environment are given below:
- Men use woods for construction purposes. Thus, deforestation occurs.
- Human beings hunt wild life for meat and uses animal's skin for decoration. Thus, wild lives are being extinguished.
- Human beings pollute environment due to construction of factories emitting smokes and dust parties.
- Natural calamities occur like landslide, soil erosion etc.
- Global warming is occurred.
According to WHO, those aspects of human health and disease that are determined by factors in the environment that guarantees the proper fate of future generation is known as environmental health.