Classification of Computer On the Basis of Work
The computer is an electronic device which accepts the input and processes them to give desired output. There are various types of computer available in the market. We can classify the computer as special purpose computers and general purpose computers. Special purpose computers are applicable on particular application area and have limited area for application like temperature recording, speed measurement, telephone billing etc, but general purpose computers are the standard computers used for general application like word processing, spreadsheet, database application, internet access, program development etc.
The computer that work with natural phenomena and physical values like earthquake measurement, speed of the wind, weight light etc is known as Analog computers. It is especially used in scientific work, medical and industrial field. These are special purpose computers. It measures physical values such as temperature or pressure that fall along a continuous scale in temperature or pressure. For example, you can see a system on petrol pump that contains an analog processor and analog device that converts flow of petrol into quantity. Speedometer in cars and your watch are other examples of analog computer.
Features of Analog computer
- It is specific to the particular task so we cannot use it for multiple applications.
- It works on continuous data and gives continuous output.
- It works on real time and no storage capacity.
- It gives in the form of a graph, signals, table etc.
A computer that work with digital value 0 and 1. Where 0 is OFF and 1 is ON. It works with discrete data. Digital computer does not measure the continuous data for continuous output. Most of the electronic system is based on the digital system. Digital computers are very popular for actual computers are very popular for actual computer works like preparation of the report, documentation, billing and other graphical work etc. The entire PC (Personal Computer) used today on different fields are digital computers.
Features of Digital computer
- It works on the discontinuous or discrete data.
- It is applicable for the general purpose so this is very versatile for the application.
- It is based on the digits 0 and 1.
- It is faster.
- It has storage section also.
- It is highly accurate and reliable than an analog system.
It is the combination of analog and digital computer system. It works with continuous and discrete value. The good qualities of analog and digital computers are combined on this computer and made the hybrid computer. These are used in ICU (Intensive Care Unit) of the hospital, jet planes, and other data analysis terminals. Hybrid computer transfers the data from analog to digital and digital to analog and vice-versa.
Features of hybrid computer
- It is an expensive system.
- It is designed for a special purpose so it is not versatile.
- It works on discrete and continuous value.
- It has limited storage.
- It is complex than other computer systems.
Some useful technical terms
- The computer which possess continuous data. ( Analog computer)
- The computers which are used in offices for general purpose. (Personal computer)
- The fastest and most expensive computer system. (Super computer)
- The computers that use the microprocessor as their CPU. (Microcomputer)
- A computer that uses analog and digital device. (Hybrid computer)
- Picture element on the monitor. (Pixel)
- The computer that uses discrete on/off system. (Digital computer)
- The portable computer which can be used where these is on direct electricity. (Laptop computer)
- The original computers developed by IBM Company. (IBM PC)
- The device which converts analog signal to digital and vice-versa. (Modem)
Things to remember
- The computer is an electronic device which accepts the input and processes them to give desired output.
- There are three types of the computer on the basis of work. They are analog, digital, and hybrid computer.
- Digital computer does not measure the continuous data for continuous output.
- The hybrid computer is the combination of analog and digital computer system.
- The computer that work with natural phenomena and physical values like earthquake measurement, speed of the wind, weight light etc is known as Analog computers.
- It includes every relationship which established among the people.
- There can be more than one community in a society. Community smaller than society.
- It is a network of social relationships which cannot see or touched.
- common interests and common objectives are not necessary for society.
Videos for Classification of Computer On the Basis of Work
Analog and Digital Computers
Digital and Analog Computers
EIA 180 hybrid computer
Questions and Answers
There are different basis of the classification of computer. The modern basis of computer classification are:
i. General purpose computer
ii. Special purpose computer
- General purpose computer:The computers which are designed to handle a variety of common task at homes, offices, organizations, etc. are known as general purpose computers. E.g. personal computer.
- Special purpose computer:The computers which can handle only one particular data for specific purpose are known as special purpose computer. E.g. super computer, analog computer.
The broad classifications of computer on the basis of work (function/activity) are:
- Analog computer: Analog computer are special purpose computer which are designed to measure the continuous physical values such as speed, pressure, etc.
E.g. speedometer, thermometer etc.
- Digital computer: Digital computers are general purpose computers which work on binary digits by accepting discontinuous data. E.g. personal computer.
- Hybrid computer: The computers which perform the task of both analog and digital computer are known as Hybrid computer. They are known as special purpose computers. E.g. ECG machine.
| Analog computer ||Digital computer |
|1.They process continuous data. ||1. They process discontinuous data |
|2.They are special purpose computers ||2. They are general purpose computers. |
|3.They are expensive than digital |
|3. They are cheaper than analog computers. |
|4. They produce Analog signals. Eg. |
|4. They produce digital signals. Eg. |
Personal computer, Laptops etc.