Glycerol and Ether
Molecular formula: CH2OH-CHOH-CH2OH
- It is colorless viscous liquid with the sweet taste.
- It is miscible in water.
- It freezes at 17°C and boils at 240°C.
- It is used as the sweetening agent in the laboratory, confectionery, beverages and medicine.
- It is used inpreparation of printing ink and stamp pad inks.
- It is used in the manufacture of good quality soaps and detergents.
- It is used as a lubricant in watches.
Ether is a compound which consists of an oxygen atom linked with two alkyl or hydrocarbon group by a single bond. Generally, diethyl ether is simply called ether. Some other ether are diethyl ether (CH3-O-CH3), ethyl methyl ether (CH3-O-C2H5).
- Molecular formula: C2H5- O- C2H5
- Structural formula:
- It is a colorless, volatile liquid with a pleasant smell.
- It is slightly soluble in water but readily soluble in alcohol.
- Its freezing point is -116°C and boiling point is 36°C.
- It is used as a solvent.
- It is used as refrigerant since it produces cooling on evaporation.
- It is used for purifying organic compounds by extraction.
- It is used as the local anesthetic because it produces unconsciousness without affecting heart and lungs during surgery.
Things to remember
- The molecular formula of glycerol is CH2OH-CHOH-CH2OH.
- Glycerol is colorless viscous liquid with a sweet taste.
- Glycerol freezes at 17°C and boils at 240°C.
- Glycerin is used to prepare of printing ink and stamp pad inks, manufacture of good quality soaps and detergents etc.
- Ether is a compound which consists of an oxygen atom linked with two alkyls or hydrocarbon group by a single bond.
- It includes every relationship which established among the people.
- There can be more than one community in a society. Community smaller than society.
- It is a network of social relationships which cannot see or touched.
- common interests and common objectives are not necessary for society.
Videos for Glycerol and Ether
Amazing Properties of Glycerin
condensation of glycerol and three fatty acid molecules
Ether Chemical Properties
Ether Naming and Introduction
Ether physical Properties
Questions and Answers
The glycerol is one of the trihydric alcohols.
The physical properties of glycerol are:
i. It is colorless, viscous and hygroscopic liquid with the sweet taste.
ii. It is soluble in water but insoluble in ether.
The two uses of glycerol are:
i. It is used medicinally to soften the skin of the body.
ii. It is used to make good quality soaps and cosmetics.
Glycerol was accidentally discovered in 1779 by K. W. Scheel when he was heating a mixture of olive oil and lead monoxide.
The IUPAC name for glycerol is 1,2,3-propanetriol. and its formula is CH2OHCHOHCH2OH
Glycerine is used in the manufacture of papers as a plasticizer/humectant and lubricant. In addition to the softening effect of retained moisture, it also reduces shrinkage.
Ethers are quite unreactive and therefore are desirable solvents for fats, oils, waxes, perfumes, resins, dyes, gums, and hydrocarbons. In addition, vapours of certain ethers are used as insecticides and fumigants for top soil.
Sedative :Ethers also play an important role in pharmacology and medicine, especially for use of anaesthetics.
Industrial Purposes: Ethoxyethane (ethyl ether) is quite volatile and therefore used as a starter fluid for diesel engines and gasoline engines in cold weather.
The molecular formula of glycerol: (CH2OH-CHOH- CH2OH).
Molecular formula of diethyl ether is C2H5-O-C2H5
The two uses of ether or diethyl ether are
- It is used as local anesthesia for minor surgery.
- It is used as cooling substance.
The uses of glycerol are:
- It is used to moist tobacco, fruits and other edible substances.
- It can be used as medicine to skin cracks.
- It can be used to make the sweets sweetener.
- It is used to manufacture soaps and cosmetic items.