The policies to be pursued for the implementation of the above mentioned strategies shall be as follows:
- Participation of private sector in infrastructure development: There may be up to a hundred percent foreign investment in areas such as information technology park, research and development, technology transfer, and human resource development.
- Infrastructure development:
The following arrangement shall be made for infrastructure development:
- An info-super highway and north-south info-highway shall be built taking into account the rapidly of information flow, changes brought about by the means of information flow, and gradual development of multimedia service. Nepal shall be linked with other parts of the world through a broadband information network.
- An IT park shall be established in Banepa in Kavrepalanchok District.
- Any company interested in establishing an industry within the park shall be charged only 1% customs duty for the import equipment related to the industry for up to five years.
- An Internet node shall be established in all development region by fiscal year 2058/059 (2001/2002) and in district headquarters by fiscal year 2060/061 (2003/2004) with participation of private sector in order to make Internet available throughout the nation.
Human Resource Development
Necessary facilities shall be supplied to universities in the country and graduate and post graduate-level classes of international standard in computer science and computer engineering subjects shall be offered.
- A long-term program-me with slogan Computer education to all by 2010 A.D. shall be formulated and computer education shall be taught as an optional subject in some secondary schools from the coming academic year and shall be made a compulsory subject in phases.
- IT shall be used to improve quality education.
- The private sector shall be encouraged to prepare medium-level manpower required for the information technology sector. Assistance shall be provided to private sector to set up institutions for teaching, research and development of information technology in each development region.
- The knowledge of computer shall be made compulsory to all newly-recruited teachers in phase so as to introduce computer education on schools; and computer education shall also be provided to all in-service teachers in phases through distant education.
- Emphasis shall be given to providing computer education from the school level .Internet facility shall be made available free of cost to universities and public schools for four hours a day within next few years.
Dissemination of Information Technology
The following measures shall be pursued for extensive dissemination of information technology.
- The education institution and hospitals in the areas where telecommunications and electricity services are available shall be encouraged to use IT services. Even in the places where electricity services are not available, the development of information technology through solar power system shall be encouraged.
- The distant learning system shall be introduced through the Internet and Intranet as well as through radio and television. Networking systems like school-net, research-net, commerce-net and multilingual computing shall be developed.
- A three-year programme shall be formulated and launched to extend the use of computer in governmental offices. All ministries, departments and offices shall be linked to Internet; and other agencies shall also be encouraged to be linked through the Internet.
- Website for all ministries and departments and district offices shall be created within a year. Necessary legal provisions shall be made to reduce the movement of papers by using information technology in all kinds of governmental activities.
- An action plan shall be devised and introduced to include computer as a subject for the examination of a specific level/class and be required to sit for a written examination during recruitment. Provision shall be made for basic computer training to be a condition for the promotion of employees.
- Content shall be prepared to enhance materials with Nepali materials on the Internet to promote. Nepalese arts and culture and to develop rural areas.
- A public awareness-enhancing campaign on the utility of information technology shall be launched extensively shall be launched extensively through the electronic media.
- An information officer shall be placed in each ministry a phased manner.
Promotion of E-commerce and so forth
E-commerce, tele-medicine, tele-processing, distant learning, among others, shall be prompt as follow:
- Necessary arrangements shall be made to encourage e-commerce.
- Necessary legal infrastructure shall be created for the promotion of tele-medicine, distant learning, tele-processing and e-commerce.
- Intellectual property right shall be created for the formulation of necessary laws related to the development of information technology.
- Provision shall be made for the export of software information technology services through IT.
- Invoice or bill of exportation made under the agreement referred to in clause (a) has to be submitted to Nepal Rastra Bank.