Population education has got a board scope with comprehensive subject matter as it is directly related with each and every human activity. Scope of population education varies according to the situation and need of the country. Consequently, its subject matters vary according to social, economic and political condition of country.
The scope of population education can be divided into the following five categories:
- Demography:It is the study of population and deals with the measurement and analysis of birth rate, death rate, migration rate, etc. Birth, death and migration are the major elements of demography. Population change is a biological process. Demography includes birth rate, death rate, sex ratio, dependency ratio, and age- sex pyramid and population growth rate.
- Determines of population change:Population change in a places takes place due to birth, death and migration. It also comprises biological, social and cultural aspects which directly affect the elements of population change. It also analyzes the factors like poverty, practices which influences population change.
- Consequences of population growth:Rapid population grow directly affects economic, social and environmental aspects of a place. The adverse effects of population growth on people's health are important parts of population education. It also deals with analysis of population growth and its consequences in daily life.
- Human sexuality and reproductive system:It includes the fundamental aspects of human sexual and reproduction process like sexual behaviors, development of human reproductive system and associated problems. This scope of population education helps to develop a positive attitude towards reproductive health.
- Planning for the future:It includes various aspects of population management like appropriate age at marriage and first conception birth spacing, family planning, family welfare and use of contraceptives.
Thus, population education is important for us to maintain sustainable environment.Population education helps and enables us to be aware of the process and consequence of population growth on the quality of our lives and the environment. The child gets and opportunity to investigate and explore the interaction between the population and their environments, population characteristics, the meaning, the nature of process. Population education helps to lift up our quality of life.