"The office resources are the human, physical and financial resources which are utilized for performing all the activities in order to achieve the organizational objectives."
An organization is established to achieve definite objectives. In order to achieve such objective, it has to perform a number of functions. To perform these functions smoothly and efficiently, the organization requires enough office resources. The quantity and quality of the office resources needed to the organization depend upon its nature, size and volume of transactions. Office resources determine the competitive position and overall success of the organization. In fact, modern office resources help to satisfy the customers and increase the goodwill of the organization.
Meaning and definition
Office resources are the inputs which are the means for obtaining outputs. The office resources are manpower, materials, and sources of income, means of transportation and means of communication. The office resources are the tools that support to perform all the activities of the organization for achieving its goal. The following is the main definition of office resources:
"Office resources refer to all those means including manpower, which support the operation of office procedures." -S.P. Arora
From the above definition, it can be concluded that the office resources are all the facilities available in the office like men, materials, and supplies, furniture and equipment, money, means of transportation and communication which are utilized to perform all the activities for achieving organizational objectives.
Needs and Importance
- It helps to perform official activities: The office resources are necessary to perform all types of manufacturing, administrative, selling and distribution activities of the organization. Qualitative office resources with required quantity help in the smooth and efficient functioning of office procedures.
- It helps to provide better products and services: The office resources are basic for producing qualitative products and services. The quality of product and services depends on the quality of resources introduced. Better resources provide better results or outputs.
- It helps to maximize profit: Efficient human physical resources assist in producing qualitative outputs at the least cost. Standard products and services satisfy needs and want of the customers which help in increasing sales increases the efficiency of the staff.
- It helps to save time: Every organization should complete its activities within the specified time period. The cost of the job done depends on the time spent on it. Modern office resources like computer, calculator and photocopy machine helps to perform the official work with a greater speed which saves valuable time of the employee.It helps to increase goodwill: Modern office resources play an important role in making the outlook of the office attractive which helps to satisfy employees and other concerned parties create positive impression in the society which helps to increase the goodwill of the organization.
- It helps to increase goodwill: Modern office resources play an important role in making the outlook of the office attractive which helps to satisfy employees and other concerned parties create positive impression in the society which helps to increase the goodwill of the organization.
- It helps to minimize cost: Proper management and utilization of office resources help to minimize the cost of products and services. Modern office resources assist in producing quality output in a greater quantity which results into a lower cost of production.
- It helps to increase efficiency: Modern office machinery and equipment help to perform the assigned work with greater accuracy and reliability. Chances of errors are almost eliminated by using modern office equipment like computer, calculator and photocopy machine. In fact, accuracy helps increasing reliability in official works.It helps to obtain greater
- It helps to obtain greater output: Every organization makes an effort to obtain a larger quantity of output with the least amount of resources. Such efforts can be materialized by managing and utilizing right type and amount of office resources. In fact, the right type of office resources helps to obtain a large volume of outputs.